Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Version Of BOB Burgers

I was cruising through some Paleo sites and saw someone posted BOB Burgers, unfortunately, I don't remember where I was, so I can't give credit, but I didn't read the whole recipe either, so I don't think I did what they did.  If anyone knows where I saw this, please let me know, I am not one to take credit for someone else's ideas.

The BOB part is what caught my eye Bacon, Onions, Balsamic (BOB-get it?).

I fried up a pound of Trader Joe's Uncured Ends and Pieces bacon (diced), removed bacon from pan.  Then sauteed the onions in the bacon grease until soft. 

I put the bacon and onions into a bowl and poured in about 2 TB of Balsamic vinegar, and mixed it all up.

I took 2 pounds of Trader Joe's 80/20 hamburger and divided into quarter pounders (8 burgers).  I took each 1/4 opened it up, put in about 1/8 th of a cup of BOB into the burger and made a patty, cooking it in the bacon-y onion-y pan.

Along with the BOB burgers, I served some back sweet potato fries and a salad.  They were a hit!

Dragging the family along the Paleo path is difficult at best.  I try to keep it looking normal.  They don't understand why GMO is bad (I am still learning myself).  They don't understand why I think bread is bad (they won't read anything), and give the "we eat bread all the time, and don't have any problems" attitude.  Although my FIL complains of belly aches and swears he has Crohn's Disease, amongst other "bathroom issues" that I am so lucky to listen to...ugh!
My MIL is going through a lot right now, but her diabetes is far from being under control in that she's not taking her meds right, and not testing consistently, but when she ate what I fixed, her blood sugar was normal, unfortunately, she's gone back to "whole grain" bread because she needs the "fiber" (What is with old people and the bathroom?). 

My husband is just cruising along, young enough and healthy enough to not have any medical problems, but getting to the age where things are going to start going wrong.  Plus, it seems that if a man doesn't eat bread, he has to turn in his Man Card.  Peer pressure at it's best.  Didn't that stop in Junior High School?  Guess not.

Well, Halloween is just around the corner.  Since this is our (OK my) first year being Paleo, I didn't really think this through.  The kids will go Trick-or-Treating, and get to eat whatever candy they want (after we look it over, of course) that night, then, no more candy.  Let the cards fall where they may.  Only the Peanut will go ape-goo goo over the candy, the Pookers is not much of a candy fiend.  For the Costumed Crowd that will show up at our door, we have a standard mix of candy.  My plan for next year is to grab up the 75% off deals after All Hallows and start collecting small prizes, bag them up, and pass them out next year.  That way, the kids get something cool, but nothing that will rot their teeth or make serial killers out of them while on a sugar high.  Is it lame?  Yeah, probably, but when you are getting goodies for just saying "Trick or treat", who says I have to give out Snickers (mmmmm Snickers...).

Today, I have a sicky kid and one who tried to play the "sick" card, who get to stay home rather than go to a Harvest Festival and a Birthday Party.  So, in the end, it works out (who needs all that sugar!), although the Peanut is bummed (he played the sick card, my kids like the acetaminophen, weirdos!), because he screwed himself out of dressing up and then getting to play with his friends, sucks to be him!

Their costumes?  The Pookers is going to be a fireman and the Peanut is going to be Thomas the Tank Engine. 

Happy Halloween (or have a Holy All Saints Day, or a Blessed Samhain)!



No comments:

Post a Comment


Pookers, The Colonel, Peanut, at Turtle Bay

"Mommy says if we catch it, we'll have to eat it..."

The Puddin'-2nd Ammendment Fun

The Princess, just 2nd Ammendment fun

Followers