Friday, September 14, 2012

The Whole 30 beginning October 1st

I will be going on the Whole 30 as listed in It Starts With Food, and just to make it fun, I will also quit smoking.  I have been on Welbutrin for a while now, and it's time.  If I put the effort into stopping smoking as I did with hCG, I can do it!

So, count down has started.  I am dragging the kids with me for the full time W30, but the rest of the household will be getting Paleo/Primal/W30 dinners.

When I start, everyone is now responsible for their own SAD foods.  The chips, the cookies, the soda, the candy, the breads, the CRAP will all have to go underground. 

The hardest part is going to the other adults to not sneak food to the Littles.  Grandma (the diabetic, schizophrenic Grandma) is absolutely sure that this is a bad way of eating.  She sees coconut oil (the news said that was bad), the butter (the news said that was bad), the meat (the news said that was bad), no grains (What about fiber?), no dairy (How will they get calcium for strong bones?).  She doesn't see the vegetables (2 or more with every meal), she doesn't see that I LOST weight eating this way.  She doesn't see that while others are getting sick, I am not.  She doesn't remember that when she tried eating my way her blood sugar numbers were normal.

Nope.  Instead she listens to her Doctor (he's a professional and KNOWS), who heard about all the meat (no mention of the veggies) and said "oh no, you NEED grains!".

The Colonel would do it, except I gave him an out.  Unlike the Parents, he doesn't have any noticeable health problems.  He knows he drinks too much soda, but he needs it, 'cause he works hard.  Eating more AFTER dinner is normal.  He is just a night owl, going to bed at 11 or 12 o'clock (sometimes later) and getting up at 5:30 am.  His job is stressful, and he needs time to unwind.  So he stares at the computer or TV all evening/night until he goes to bed, and doesn't know why he's so tired. 

My eldest son is 18, and can make his own decisions.  Right now he likes frozen pizzas, because I serve weird food.  His whole life has been the SAD, and he's young.  Not much of an excuse, but one that I will respect.

If I want everyone to respect my choices, I have to be respectful of theirs.  If they want to climb aboard the Paleo train, they are more than welcome.  The best I can do is be a good example, and let my overall health speak for itself.  Once I am not "fat" anymore, my diet will have more of an impact.

The information is here.  I leave "It Starts With Food" where everyone can see it, and maybe pick it up.  Plus a few more other books (The Paleo Solution, Primal Body, Primal Mind, Paleo Magazine).

Well, that was interesting...Grandma seems to be on board with the W30!  Although, she says, that she will have to eat some grain, for the fiber.  I explained that there is just as much or more fiber in vegetables, to which she agreed.  I also said that a serving of meat is the size of her palm, but veggies were a "free for all" and she can have as much as she wants or needs!  Then I also told her that magnesium will work too (for her, a pill is a pill, they make her feel special).

So, all in all, it's a case of "we'll see".  Mostly, nobody wants to read the information.  If they would, they might learn something (heaven forbid!).  So, October first is W-day, I'll update rapidly to keep everyone in the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Pookers, The Colonel, Peanut, at Turtle Bay

"Mommy says if we catch it, we'll have to eat it..."

The Puddin'-2nd Ammendment Fun

The Princess, just 2nd Ammendment fun

Followers