Friday, January 17, 2014

Hardcore Paleo-Days 8 thru 16

Sorry gang, it's been 10 days since I posted. Last Tuesday, I did measurements and had some interesting results: Weight: 222.4 Fat %: 38.9 Water %: 41.2 Neck: 13 Ribs: 39 Ankle: 8.5 Arm: 12.5 Waist: 38 Wrist: 7 Hips: 49 Chest: 39 Thighs: 22 Bust: 42 Calf: 14.5 In one week, I only lost 2 lbs, but trimmed down 14.5 inches (overall). The biggest surprise was my waist, which came down 8 inches (either I trimmed or measured wrong). Some places went up (wrist +.5) and some stayed the same (arms, ribs, hips, and ankles). I knew this was coming, but am still a bit sad about my fat and water %'s. I was hoping that the fat % would go down and the water % would come up. I have a couple of theories: A) I was on my girly time, which always messes me up. And B) Gaining more muscle plays havoc with BMI. The actor Tom Cruise has a BMI that says he's obese. I am fairly sure that that man has never seen a "fat" day in his life. What that is, is compact muscle, which weighs more per square inch. The standard BMI calculations don't work with muscle to weight ratios. This is why it's more important to go by how your clothes fit, rather then the numbers on a scale. I didn't weigh or measure this week, but I am not too concerned. I am feeling stronger, and tightening up. Please, please: I am begging you. Don't do excess weight damage to yourself. And, if it's started, please, please, start NOW. I have a very ugly "apron". An apron is when you've stretched out your skin on your belly, then lose the weight, but not the skin, and it just hangs down (like an apron). I made choices that led to saggy flesh. It's very ugly, but it's the price I paid for not being diligent about my health and physical fitness. To all those who think that exercise isn't necessary to lose weight are just fooling themselves. There is no magic pill. I speak from experience, and have taken the closest thing I can find to a magic pill, hCG. I did lose 125 lbs. without extra exercise, but that left me weakened. I take a lot of pride in being strong, and am making up for it now. You don't have to spend hours at the gym, in fact, other than access to an indoor pool, I would warn against it. Exercise can be as easy as walking out the door and walking (not strolling) for 20 to 30 minutes. Or, like me, find a DVD that has a twenty minute workout (the 10 minute workout DVDs are pretty good too, just do them twice). Hours and hours at the gym are not possible for most of us. Plus, who wants to get on a conveyor belt to nowhere? I am on day 3 of level 2 of Jillian's Shred. The food. ARG!! I am such a sweet junkie. I have been having bananas and Paleo crunch as afternoon snacks, just feeding the proverbial monkey (pun intended). Although bananas are a great form of concentrated carbs, the sugars just add to the jones. My next downfall is portion control. I have been having seconds (and sometimes 3rds, yikes) at dinner time (veg and meat). So, there are my problem areas, and I need to get a grip on these. The Kids: Actually, they are adjusting fairly well. The Pookers is doing better than the Peanut. The Peanut is a sugar junkie (like Mom), and the Pookers isn't really interested in food (like Dad). I have noticed that the Peanut is calmer in the mornings. We have also been trying to get the Peanut down for naps in the afternoons, which isn't going too well, but he gets so tired in the afternoons, and the fit throwing begins in earnest. Both are looking forward to the end of "hardcore Paleo", but will be sorely disappointed that bread, cakes and cookies will not be flooding into our kitchen. I will be making them a special breakfast with Paleo oven pancakes, and maybe a batch of paleo-fied cookie treats (maybe some pseudo Lara Bars). I am fearful for them to jump right back to a SAD way of eating. It's very hard to deny them the things that others eat (all the adults agree that they must eat healthier, less soda, less sugar), but none are willing to take the plunge and cut these things from their diet. Not only do they eat SAD, they are sad). They all have the luxury of being "skinny fat", which isn't a luxury at all, but damage being done, and no way to tell the difference. They could all look at me and see my fat and point out all my unhealthy ways, but they can't do that with themselves, since they aren't fat. You might be like that, skinny fat, or you might be fatty fat, but what should be first and foremost in your thoughts is your health. Just because someone is thin, that doesn't mean they are healthy, and just because someone is fat doesn't mean that they are unhealthy. Off to start the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Pookers, The Colonel, Peanut, at Turtle Bay

"Mommy says if we catch it, we'll have to eat it..."

The Puddin'-2nd Ammendment Fun

The Princess, just 2nd Ammendment fun

Followers